Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Last few days in the big house..

Pardon me while I ramble for a moment, I haven't quite organized my thoughts yet but I'm pushing myself to update this blog before I get out of the mode again. So, a mishmash will ensue.

My initial thoughts about living in Casablanca?

Val and I are not homeowners.

It's not that we don't want to be, in that grand "someday" way, but when it comes down to it, we aren't really house people. Sure, this 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom, yard, sandbox, garage villa has been a nice place to campout. It's been fun chasing the cats up the big marble staircase. But really, it's a golden birdcage.

I like a small space. I like to have just what I need and some potted plants. I need my freedom to walk and explore. So, we move downtown tomorrow. Where will I keep my goats? Well, when I am ready to have my goats, I'll want that big yard, I'll be ready then. Someday.

Living small doesn't mean I like a small kitchen. Having this giant kitchen to play in makes me miss my small appliances and my cookbooks that are all awaiting me back in New York. All those recipes I never could try in the summer because turning on the oven in a tiny New York apartment when the temperature is over 80 only leads to grumpy, sweaty people. I wish I had my ice cream maker! I am dying to see if you can make Leben into a buttermilk ice cream... I love the Smitten Kitchen's write-up of this amazing buttermilk recipe - try it, it is to die for.

So, over the last few weeks in the big house I've made my own perogies, using a recipe similar to this one. It's a good and easy recipe, but unfortunately it does not use a potato dough. The perogies were delicious enough to let that slide.

Cooking Moroccan?
I've made my first attempt at a Moroccan tagine (I even used a preserved lemon!). However, I've also made some bad substitution choices: philo dough pizza (no, it was not delicious nor intentional) and separated pita halves used as tortillas come to mind. It's always an adventure.

Now, with all this domesticity I'm starting to get antsy.

There are adventures on the horizon. I'll tell you about marrakesh next time.

2 comments:

  1. Can´t wait for the next post ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miguel - I'm glad we can keep in touch. I'm sorry I'll miss you on Jenny's next visit to Madrid :-/

    ReplyDelete